Game not saving
  • I can't save the game. This evening I played for 2 hours until I noticed that the game does not save :(

If I start a new game and then try it save it, the "working man" appears and the the game goes back to the menu. When I try to reload the game, there is nothing to load.

I use the steam version with the beta update and I'm running Windows 8.1 x64.

I tired running the Application-steam-x64.exe with administrator rights with no success.
    When I look under "This PC" -> "Documents" I can't find a Banished folder.

Thank you very much for helping. Without the possibility to save there's no fun in playing :(

Edit: There is also a thread in the Support-Forum:
    http://shiningrocksoftware.com/forum/discussion/1977/game-not-saving#Item_12
  • I seem to have the same problem on a Win7 64bit system.
    Running on the latest Steam.
    Tried the Beta, without any effect.
    Turned off virusscanner/firewall no effect.

No crashes or any other problems so far.
    Error-free eventvwr.
    Never had problems with games making savegames on Steam.
    Have "Skyrim", "Prison Architect" and "Don't Starve". All without problems.

Hope that i this info is usefull.
    Banished is fun, but it's annoying to keep starting over.
  • @Sevik @Potharing

I won't be able to help, but I keep asking these questions in order to finally find a correlation and eventually figure what causes this.

Saved games are normally under My Documents\Banished\Save
    Does the folder exist? Are there save files in that folder?
    Is the My Documents folder on C: or on a different drive?
    Is the My Documents folder writable? (Are you able to manually create/delete a file?)

• @Sevik @Potharing

I won't be able to help, but I keep asking these questions in order to finally find a correlation and eventually figure what causes this.

Saved games are normally under My Documents\Banished\Save
    Does the folder exist? Are there save files in that folder?
    Is the My Documents folder on C: or on a different drive?
    Is the My Documents folder writable? (Are you able to manually create/delete a file?)

• Thank you for your answer.

I just tried it again, and now it can saves the game...

This is really strange, as I tried it yesterday several times. I rebooted the pc, I even reinstalled the game with no effect and now it just works...

I really have no idea what caused the problem. But as the problem may come up again, I answer your questions:

The folder has not existed yesterday, now that it saves the game, the folder is there. The document folder was and is located on C: under c:\Users\USERNAME\Documents

It is called "Documents" and not "My Documents".

Maybe the problem is steam related? Although I never had a problem like this playing several games that use the documents folder for saving...

Edit: I changed one thing on my system: I deinstalled a tool called Gestureworks Gameplay (including something called XNA framework). I'm not sure if this is really the cause for the error (as I deinstalled it also yesterday), but it is the only thing I changed on my pc during the last week.
  • Found the problem.
    The game uses the actual location of the "My Documents"-folder.
    I changed that when setting up my PC. Thought it was a good idea to set everything on an external drive. But it wasn't. SO i thought to set it back in the "Librarie". This is not the same.

Solution: Check this setting.
    http://www.w7forums.com/threads/change-location-of-my-documents-folder.338/

Thanks for the response and excuse my stupidity.
  • Hi!

I have found another cause to this problem: my Banished was unable of saving too. I checked my Documents folder and there wasn't any Banished folder, but I saw that I had let a textfile named Banished (without any extension). Just by renaming it, I was finally able to save.

This happenned on:
    Banished (steam version)
    Banished beta (steam version)
    running on Windows 7 (64bits I believe, I keep forgetting).

I think the game should have displayed an error message when saving or created its folder under another name (like Shining Rock Software/Banished ?).
  • @NoctisLux LOL how did you have a file by that name? I'd doubt anyone else had a file like that and that wasn't their problem :)

Currently, it doesn't seem like the game reports any error it gets while trying to save a file. The error message might not be helpful, but knowing something screwed there might help. Currently it seems you are all on the impression that your game was saved, until you realize it never was created.

Based on my understanding of MS recommendations and how save files are usually used, I think these files shouldn't be under My Documents to begin with. Games have done that for years though. On the other hand, several games actually save their games under My Documents\My Games, which already sounds better to me.
  • Well, it was a textfile I created on Linux to copy/paste my Banished steam key. And as the Windows partition is kind of a mess, the only folder I can easily find on both Windows and Linux is the Documents folder. So that's why I had a textfile named 'Banished' in there. :b

Anyway, the game behaviour with these saving problems shows that the game catches the exception that is supposed to be raised with this kind of error, but doesn't try (either not at all or not hard enough) to solve it. If this can be of any help to the All Mighty Dev...
  • So what about the case where there actually IS a Banished/Save folder and it gets recreated even after I manually delete it, but the game does not save anything? No errors, one slot only is active on save, nothing available on load, no files in "save" folder. Tried everything (admin rights, antivirus stop etc.), even running the 32-bit executable instead of the 64-bit (windows 8.1 + steam version), nothing works in my case.
  • I have the exact same problem as sotirisf. Not much else to say that sotirisf didnt say.

If I manually delete the file banished/saves, it automatically recreates the file. But there are no saves there. No errors... nothing.

I have searched other forums as well, many with answers from TomDuhamel but no definitive fix for this problem.

The game is so enjoyable, but without being able to save I haven't even wanted to sink my teeth into it yet.
  • To all of you that are having the issue where you cannot save banished when using windows 10, all you have to do is to go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Banished", once there right click the application called "Application-steam-x64"(or "x32" depending on your system and preference), and click "create shortcut" this will place the shortcut either in the banished folder or may automatically place the shortcut onto your desktop, (In the case that it puts it into the banished folder, just drag it onto your desktop). Now that you are finished creating the shortcut you will need to edit its permissions, to do that you need to right click on the shortcut and go to "properties" once in the properties menu navigate to the "compatibility" tab, and check the box that says "run this program as an administrator" after you have done that click "Apply" then close the window. Now before we run the game there is one more thing that needs to be done. Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam" and look for a folder called "appcache", This folder needs to be deleted so go ahead and do that, once that is done you may run the game and save till your hearts content.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!